As a brand wanting to bring it's new "Go Beyond" brand philosophy to life, we wanted to go beyond traditional marketing programs. The urban planning idea of city "green spaces" being social spaces within cities was a perfect compliment to bringing the world and personality of Heineken to life. Heineken Greenspace was born--a public/private partnership designed to leave a legacy.
Together with the city of Valencia, we set out to breathe new life into 3 disused grain warehouses and turn them into a a permanent destination for young talent to showcase their skills across film, design, music and other cultural content. A 10 year partnership with the city gave a needed kick-start to the redevelopment of an area designated by the city for revitalization.
The concept of Heineken Greenspace was co-developed with young people in Valencia and a nationwide creative brief was issued across Spain asking young talent across the disciplines of music, film and design to articulate what the greenspace idea meant to them. Internationally renowned mentors from each discipline were then asked to select and develop the most inspiring projects for showcasing at the 7 day launch event which challenged all participants and performers to "Go Beyond".
Now in its 9th successful year of operation Heineken Greenspace continues to host hundreds of events, competitions and cultural showcases with the consistent generation of credible content being utilised by the brand across other media.
- Urban renewal project between Heineken and the City of Valencia
- Heineken's global launch platform for a new brand philosophy--physically and digitally
- Active community involvement in the development, programming and execution
- Global challenge for people to demonstrate what greenspace means to them across music, film and design
- Mentors such as Rem Koolhaas (design) and Matthew Herbert (music) pushed people's projects further and showcased at the launch
- The city curates ongoing content and Heineken stages it's own events, all aimed around developing talent
- A permanent profit-making entertainment hub since 2006
- 10 year partnership between Heineken and the City of Valencia
- 350+ members of the press attended ranging from Financial Times to Blueprint, Icon and Wallpaper
- €4.56M achieved in media value at the launch alone
- Over 400 Heineken owned/branded events held at Greenspace since launch
- Ongoing development of young talent
- Won award for "Most Contagious Event of the Year 2005 & 2006" and highly commended in D&AD Environmental Design
- Credible content generated from live events